Author Topic: BETRAYAL OF CAMPAIGN PROMISES  (Read 1152 times)

SandyMansel

• View Profile
BETRAYAL OF CAMPAIGN PROMISES
« on: August 17, 2019, 06:58:34 PM »
In late 2017 and early 2018, the citizens of Germantown made their voices heard against over development of apartments; and in response, the current administration put in an 18 month moratorium.
Since 2018 was an election year, campaign mailers contained promises to citizens, with statements like:
"Placed a moratorium on new apartments and big development to keep the legacy and charm of Germantown"
And
"I proposed the rezoning of the Cordova Triangle to prevent new apartments in their backyard."
Copies of those 2 campaign mailers attached.
A poll conducted in Nextdoor had overwhelming sentiment against more apartments.
http://www.shiningalightongermantown.com/
A petition entitled
Vote "NO" to more apartments and dense developments in Germantown before it's too late.
was emailed to each member of the Board of Mayor and Alderman with over 3,900 signatures.
The TischlerBise study, for which we paid $85,480, stated:
* Overall, insufficient revenues are generated by growth to cover related expenditures over most of the projection period.
* The Redevelopment Scenario begins to generate sufficient revenue after Year 21
Despite all the above, a "moratorium extension resolution" was drawn up and placed on the August 12 BMA Agenda. That resolution is meaningless by only stopping standalone apartments. Thornwood is "mixed use" and is just now passing the 50% occupancy rate. Avenida is under construction which will provide senior living apartments.
Many of us believe that we do not have a shortage of apartments and see no need to allow more at this time. We want to KEEP THE LEGACY AND CHARM OF GERMANTOWN and all of the citizens of Germantown deserve the same promise made to those surrounding CORDOVA TRIANGLE TO PREVENT NEW APARTMENTS IN THEIR BACKYARD.
Is there anyone who believed these campaign promises, who now feels betrayed?
« Last Edit: August 20, 2019, 09:28:00 AM by SandyMansel »

Church Lady

• View Profile
Re: BETRAYAL OF CAMPAIGN PROMISES
« Reply #1 on: August 20, 2019, 08:26:26 PM »
I pray for them, but that doesn't mean I don't feel betrayed by them. I do. I also won't sit silently by while they harm the city that I love.